While a Brigade Commander-level meeting to ease tensions along the LAC ended in a stalemate, Indian security forces on Tuesday foiled an attempt by the Chinese Army to transgress into Indian areas in the general area of Chumar, a border patrol facility located in south-eastern Ladakh. This was the third attempt by the Chinese troops in last three days to transgress into the Indian side.
Around seven to eight heavy vehicles of the Chinese army set off towards the Indian side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) from their Chepuzi camp, Sources told India Today TV.
According to sources, the Indian security forces also deployed vehicles to prevent any intrusion. Seeing the vehicles from the Indian side along with troops, the Chinese side returned towards their camp, sources said.
Indian security forces are on high alert all along the LAC to prevent any incursion by the Chinese in any sector.
India on Tuesday said that even as it was engaged with China to de-escalate tensions after the fresh border standoff in the intermittent night of August 29-30, Chinese troops on Monday engaged in “provocative action” for the second time.
Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Anurag Srivastava in a statement said, “Yesterday (August 31), even as the ground commanders of the two sides were in discussions to de-escalate the situation, the Chinese troops again engaged in provocative action. Due to the timely defensive action, the Indian side was able to prevent these attempts to unilaterally alter the status quo.”
According to sources, the Chinese forces on Monday had once again tried to close in on Kaala Top and Helmet Top in an aggressive manoeuvre. However, they were stopped by Indian forces who shouted to them using megaphones to tell them that they had been spotted.
The MEA was responding to media questions on the recent developments in the India-China border areas in the Pangong Tso Lake area in Ladakh.